Sunday, May 19, 2013

Out of retirement

My work is a sponsor for Beat the Bridge and along with that they will pay employees entry fees. I can't pass free stuff and even though I would like to be running more before doing a race I decided to sign up. Friday during lunch I ran 4 miles to keep my legs loose before Sunday. I left my watch at home so I have no clue how fast I was going. Our exciting Friday night was renting Hotel Transylvania. I'm not very picky but didn't it was a stinker. In hindsight Adam Sandler hasn't faired too well in animated movies. 

Saturday I got up early and went to work on the house. I ran some wire, ripped out some old wire, did some demo, then ran more wire before cleaning up a bit. We have an electrician coming up to work on the house next weekend so I'm pushing to get ready for him. I sat down and actually watched the Sounders game on TV last night and it was one of the most exciting games I can remember. Lots of goals (4-2 Seattle) and a number of other close chances.

Race day, we loaded up the troops and took off around 6:45. It was a madhouse at the stadium. There were 5000 runners along with a big contingent of walkers that started before the run. I had run 5 miles at lunch a few weeks ago and felt like I was pushing it even though I didn't warm up. I averaged 7:18 that day so I was hoping to be somewhere around 7:10 per mile today. I foolishly started way too far back in the pack and had to really fight through people the first mile. I was weaving in and out like crazy. But being so far back gave me an odd motivation to keep blowing past people. A couple hundred meters in a noticed a woman frantically passing people at the same pace I was. It was funny because we ended up running near each other then entire race and congratulated each other at the finish. I was really consistent and ran increasingly faster miles as the race progressed. My official time was 33:33 (6:45/mile). I was really surprised and felt great about the time.

I've only run a 5 mile race one time before this. That was FIFTEEN years ago. Can't believe how long ago that was and how old I am now. I googled and was able to find the results from that race. The Seafair Torchlight Parade run was super cool and I might try to do it again this year. You run through the parade route and there are thousands of people cheering. God bless the internet because I found my old result and can't believe that I beat my time from that race (34:21). This was the summer before my sr year and I hadn't done a lot of runs longer that 6 or 7 miles back then. Whereas now I do quite a bit of longer runs but don't have near the speed I used to.

http://athlinks.com/result/43981/64213/33077616/98210429

I wasn't the only one running a race today. We signed Urijah up for the 'diaper derby'. He had a huge grin running to Tasha. He is impossible not to love. 


Now these are kind of matching shirts I can go for

I don't think he understands the urgency of the race but he had a lot of fun

3.5 miles in and flying past people


Pushups - 0 / 15725 YTD
Pull ups - 0 / 946 YTD

Running - 9 / 120.59 YTD
Treadmill - 0 / 2 YTD
Elliptical - 0 / 41 YTD
Run total - 163.59 YTD

1 comment:

  1. SO badass. That makes two of us that are faster than we were back in the day...but you were actually fast at one time. Did you sign up for the 12k yet?

    ReplyDelete